MENU
Cirencester Civic Society

No.Place Name
1Market Place – Kings Head
2Market Place - Corn Hall
3Market Place - CoZy Powell
4Market Place - 11 to 17 Market Place
5Market Place - 19 Market Place
6Market Place - Fleece Inn
7Dyer Street - Bingham House
8Dyer Street - Gloucester House
9Dyer Street-The Four Seasons mosaic-
10Dyer Street - No 74
11London Road - North East Gate
12Lewis Lane/South Way
13South Way
14Cricklade Street/Lewis Lane- Junction of Ermin Way and Akeman Street
15Cricklade St/Lewis Lane-Sea Level mark
16City Bank Road - South East Gate
17Trinity Road
18Querns Lane
19Querns Hill - South West Gate
20Sheep Street No. 25- Grace Hadow
21Sheep Street - The Old Town Station
22Castle Street No 14
23Castle Street No 23
24Castle Street Nos 19-21
25Castle Street No 4 - Ram Inn
26Park Street- Abberley House & Corinium Museum
27Park Street - Dunstall House
28Park Street No 23
29Cecily Hill - The Barracks
30Thomas Street - Woolgatherers
31Thomas Street - The Mead House
32Thomas Street - The Salvation Army Hall
33Coxwell Street - Woolgatherers
34Coxwell Street - The former Baptist Chapel
35Dollar Street No 2
36Dollar Street - J. Rothschild House
37Spitalgate - North West Gate
38Gloucester Street No 27
39Gloucester Street - Barton Hall
40Gloucester Street No 33
41Gloucester Street Nos 114 - 118
42Gloucester Street-The Old House
43Barton Lane No 2 - St. Lawrences Hospital
45Barton Lane Nos 24-26
46New Brewery Arts - Hands Sculpture
47Coxwell Street No 10
48Riverside Walk, Thomas Street-Cirencester Open Air Pool
      
2Market Place – Kings Head51.717099-1.967225<p>Kings Head Hotel-built 1860, designed by Medland &amp; Mabberley&nbsp;incorporating the inn of the same name many centuries older.</p><p>It was one of several coaching Inns in the Town, and a departure point for&nbsp;stagecoaches until the railway age(1841 onwards).</p>1
3Market Place - Corn Hall51.717059-1.967093<p>Corn Hall- built in 1863 for the agricultural trade, on the site of the old Boot Hall&nbsp;with its woolmarket, designed by Medland &amp; Mabberley.</p><p>It was also used for music&nbsp;and drama and housed the School of Art, the Mechanics Institute and a subscription&nbsp;library.</p><p>The plaque is currently hidden by an advertising board on the left hand side of the entrance.</p>2
4Market Place - CoZy Powell51.717059-1.967093<p>CoZy Powell (1947- 1998) the World famous rock drummer who was born&nbsp;in Cirencester and performed here with The Corals 1964-66.</p><p>A plaque was erected in&nbsp;his memory in January 2014. Dr. Brian May (Queen), Tony Iommi, Suzi Quatro, Neil Murray and Bernie Marsden were all present at the unveiling in front of a large crowd. Brian May described Cozy as a pioneer of a new agressive drumming style. He was a great human being and a hero for many. Cozy played in a number of bands including-The Brian May Band, Rainbow, Whitesnake and Black Sabbath. He was the first drummer to achieve a chart hit with a song he wrote- Dance with the Devil in 1974.</p><p>&nbsp; The Town Council received a petition signed by 3000 people from all over the World asking them to erect a plaque in memory of Cozy organised by Italian fan Rosella Amadori. People come from all over the world to lay flowers here on the anniversary of his death.</p>3
5Market Place - 11 to 17 Market Place51.717162-1.967376<p>11 to 17 Market Place-a group of 17th century houses, largely timber framed with later&nbsp;refacing and alterations.</p><p>The imposing rear fa&ccedil;ade can be viewed from the&nbsp;Churchyard.</p>4
6Market Place - 19 Market Place51.717109-1.967223<p>Home of William Lawrence (1753-1837) surgeon and his son Sir&nbsp;William Lawrence FRS (1783-1869) twice President of the Royal College of&nbsp;Surgeons.</p>5
7Dyer Street - Bingham House51.717057-1.965931<p>Daniel Bingham (1830-1913) born in Cirencester,&nbsp;worked for Great Western Railway before living in Holland and helped to re-organise&nbsp;the Dutch Railways. He became very wealthy and a major benefactor of the Town.</p><p>He&nbsp;built Bingham House in 1905 as a public library and funded the Bingham Library&nbsp;Trust. The building became the offices of the Town Council.</p>7
8Market Place - Fleece Inn51.716961-1.966018<p>Fleece Inn-17th Century on left and 18th Century on right. At the rear from 1900-02 was the workshop of Ernest Gimson and Ernest Barnsley, architects and designers members of the famous &quot; Arts and Crafts&quot; movement.</p><p>Behind this modern fa&ccedil;ade stood the Sun Inn where the future King Charles II,&nbsp;fleeing after his defeat by Oliver Cromwell at Worcester in 1651 , is said to have passed the&nbsp;night disguised as Will Jackson a manservant.</p>6
9Dyer Street - Gloucester House51.716284-1.964109<p>18th Century at one time home of Mrs Rebecca Powell (1642-1722) who endowed the&nbsp;Yellow School, later Powells School in Gloucester Street.</p>8
19Dyer Street-The Four Seasons mosaic-51.716401-1.964268<p>Near this spot in 1849 two major Roman mosaics were discovered under the road -&nbsp;The Four Seasons and Hunting dogs. They can be seen in Corinium Museum.</p>9
20Dyer Street - No 7451.716146-1.963195<p>Built in 1904 by VA Lawson. The Wiltshire and Gloucestershire&nbsp;Standard newspaper was founded in 1837. Richard Jefferies the Wiltshire Author was&nbsp;at one time its Chief Reporter. The newspaper closed the offices in 2018 and sold the building. The Civic Society petitioned English Heritage to designate this as a Listed building of architectural and historic importance in 2019.</p>10
21London Road - North East Gate51.716994-1.960068<p>Site of North East gate of Corinium stood here leading towards&nbsp;Colonia (Lincoln) and Verulamium (St. Albans)</p>11
22Lewis Lane/South Way51.714792-1.965086<p>The Roman town of Corinium developed around this site from AD&nbsp;80. The Forum, the commercial and social heart of the town was built nearby.</p>12
23South Way51.715929-1.966667<p>This column base gives some idea of the impressive design of many&nbsp;central buildings of Roman Corinium.</p>13
24Cricklade Street/Lewis Lane- Junction of Ermin Way and Akeman Street51.714792-1.966644<p>This plaque marks the crossing of two Roman Roads- Ermin&nbsp;Street and Akeman Street in Roman Corinium.</p>14
25Cricklade St/Lewis Lane-Sea Level mark51.714116-1.966644<p>Sea Level mark - 111.75m or 365 feet above sea level. Originally sited in Cricklade Street it was removed during the re-furbishment of Waterstones Bookshop and not replaced- Subsequent investigations reveaied the correct location of the sea level.</p>15
26City Bank Road - South East Gate51.709412-1.959013<p>The South East gate of Roman Corinium stood&nbsp;here leading towards Silchester along Ermin Way.</p>16
27Trinity Road51.711222-1.965685<p>Built in c 1840 as a workhouse, these buildings later became a&nbsp;geriatric Hospital. Refurbished in 1980 by Cotswold District Council as their&nbsp;headquarters.</p><p>If you explore back towards Querns Road you will find the Old Lock Up which was re-located from the Town Centre.</p>17
28Querns Lane51.712596-1.969346<p>The site of the Wharf which served the Cirencester arm of the&nbsp;Thames and Severn Canal from c 1783. It was abandoned in 1933.</p><p>The branch led to Siddington Junction where it joined the main canal leading to the Thames at Lechlade and the Severn at Saul.</p><p>The railway which arrived in 1841 effectively made the canal redundant as a form of transporting goods.</p>18
29Querns Hill - South West Gate51.71265-1.969855<p>The South West gate of Roman Corinium stood here leading&nbsp;towards Aquae Sulis (Bath) along the Fosse Way.</p>19
30Sheep Street No. 25- Grace Hadow51.715006-1.971149<p>The Old Vicarage home of Grace Hadow OBE (1875 - 1940).</p><p>Grace Hadow was the daughter of the Vicar of South Cerney and lived here with her mother and sister between 1907 and&nbsp; 1917.</p><p>Grace was an author, a Suffragist and one of the founders of the Women&#39;s Institute. She became Principal of&nbsp; St. Anne&#39;s&nbsp; College in Oxford which has&nbsp; The Hadow Room in her memory. The plaque was unveiled by Helen King the Principal of the College in February 2018- on the 100th anniversary of the Representation of the People Act 1918.</p>20
31Sheep Street - The Old Town Station51.71545-1.971828<p>The Great Western Railway line from Kemble (1841-1964)&nbsp;terminated here in 1841. The station building was designed by Isambard Kingdom Brunel. One of only two such buildings which survive-it is a Grade 2 listed building which has been empty since 2012. It is opened during Heritage Open days each September. A ceremony to commemorate the 175th anniversary of the opening was held here in June 2016.</p>21
32Castle Street No 1451.716943-1.968805<p>Lloyds Bank &ndash; built in 1720 for a rich wool stapler, this&nbsp;Palladian building later housed the first bank in Cirencester :Pitt, Bowly and Croome.</p>22
33Castle Street No 2351.716755-1.968985<p>18th Century. Childhood home of Kennet John Beecham (1848-1922) historian and architect of Cirencester.</p>23
34Castle Street Nos 19-2151.71675-1.968983<p>16th Century- much refurbished, re-faced in 1970 &ndash;the building to the left (No.19) was the former home of the Vampage family.</p>24
35Castle Street No 4 - Ram Inn51.716922-1.968964<p>On this site from the 17th Century until the railway age,&nbsp;the Ram Inn was the departure point of coaches for London, Bristol and Birmingham. One of several coaching Inns in the Town. It was a meeting place for farmers and traders attending the weekly markets in the Town Centre.</p>25
36Park Street- Abberley House & Corinium Museum51.717328-1.970772<p>Built by John Cripps as a town House 1760-70.&nbsp;Later used by YMCA. Purchased by the Bathurst and Cripps families and given in 1936&nbsp;to Cirencester Urban District Council to house Corinium Museum, relocated from Old&nbsp;Tetbury Road.</p><p>It holds the largest collection of Roman artifacts outside of the British Museum in London. It underwent a &pound;2M re-furbishment in 2019/2020</p>26
37Park Street - Dunstall House51.717325-1.971184<p>17th century, re-fronted in 18th century. Mishearing a suggestion&nbsp;that the house should be called after the Gumstool Brook which flows at the rear, a&nbsp;tenant called it Dunstall House, which has endured.</p>27
38Park Street No 2351.717471-1.971378<p>Formerly Henry Tanners Chapel, opened in 1854 for strict&nbsp;Baptists seceding from the Baptist Chapel in Coxwell Street nearby.</p>28
39Cecily Hill - The Barracks51.718009-1.97463<p>Built 1857. A depot and armoury for the Royal North&nbsp;Gloucestershire Militia(later 4th Battalion Gloucestershire Regiment and the Cirencester&nbsp;Squadron Royal Gloucestershire Hussars). Headquarters of the Cirencester Home Guard&nbsp;during World War II . It became a Territorial Army base and later an annex of&nbsp;Cirencester College. Now used as offices following a &quot;make over &quot; by Lawrence Llewellyn -Bowen the interior designer who lives locally.</p>29
40Thomas Street - Woolgatherers51.718297-1.972101<p>An 17th/18th Century building, once a warehouse for&nbsp;wool, adjoins the house in Coxwell Street.</p>30
41Thomas Street - The Mead House51.718846-1.972023<p>18th Century, former home of the banker and antiquarian Wilfred&nbsp;Cripps. The side wings were added in 1889, one of them as a museum for Roman&nbsp;remains.</p>31
42Thomas Street - The Salvation Army Hall51.719195-1.97128<p>1846- originally built as a Temperance Hall by&nbsp;Christopher Bowly. It was the first Temperance Hall in the West of England. Restored&nbsp;by the Salvation Army in 1977.</p>32
43Coxwell Street - Woolgatherers51.718297-1.972101<p>17th century home of a prosperous wool&nbsp;merchant. The stairway on the left led to the counting house.</p>33
44Coxwell Street - The former Baptist Chapel 51.718142-1.970308<p>The former Baptist Chapel possibly on the site of the house of the widow&nbsp;Peltrace, where, from 1651, some 40 Baptists began to worship. It closed in 2018 when a new purpose built Church was erected in Chesterton Lane to accommodate the growing congregation. It is now five private residences.</p>34
45Dollar Street No 251.71842-1.968933<p>18th century, built over the Gumstool Brook &ndash;one&nbsp;of the many channels of the River Churn on the site of the mill of St. Marys Abbey.</p>35
46Dollar Street - J. Rothschild House51.71941-1.969956<p>Formerly Dollar Street House. Late 18th Century. Built for&nbsp;Joseph Pitt a lawyer who created Pittville Spa in Cheltenham.</p><p>Re-named by St. James&#39;s Place Wealth Management LLP following their purchase for use as offices in early 21st Century.</p>36
47Spitalgate - North West Gate51.719721-1.970307<p>Site of North West gate of Roman Corinium- Ermin street leading&nbsp;towards Glevum (Gloucester).</p>37
48Gloucester Street No 2751.720237-1.97113<p>A flourishing theatre in the 18th Century.&nbsp;Mrs Siddons is known to have appeared here. The building was later re-faced and&nbsp;converted to an Inn- The Loyal Volunteer.</p>38
49Gloucester Street - Barton Hall51.720257-1.971467<p>Built in 1808 as a Wesleyan Methodist Chapel. Later used by&nbsp;Cirencester Rural District Council, then as a schoolroom.</p>39
50Gloucester Street No 3351.720441-1.971387<p>15th Century with later alterations. Originally two semi-detached&nbsp;houses. The stones at the front are said to have been removed from St.Mary&rsquo;s Abbey, which was demolished after 1539.</p>40
51Gloucester Street Nos 114 - 11851.722034-1.972797<p>Late 17th Century. This and neighbouring cottages&nbsp;were said to have been built for the &ldquo;drowners&rsquo; who looked after the nearby water&nbsp;meadows.</p>41
53Barton Lane No 2 - St. Lawrences Hospital51.721051-1.972153<p>On this site stood the&nbsp;medieval Church- later St. Lawrences&rsquo;s Hospital for three poor widows, founded by&nbsp;Edith Bissett, Lady of the Manor of Wiggold. It is one of several Charities in Cirencester which created almshouses for the poor in 12th and 13th Centuries.</p>43
55Barton Lane Nos 24-2651.720835-1.973707<p>Built in 1927 for St. John&rsquo;s Hospital Trust- these almshouses and the adjacent pair (Nos 20 aand 22) provide housing for local people who qualify for housing by the Charity. The houses were designed by Norman Jewson the Cotswold Architect.The charity was founded in the 13th century and owns two allotment sites-one behind these cottages.</p>45
56New Brewery Arts - Hands Sculpture51.716172-1.969556<p>&ldquo;A celebration of Hands&rdquo; sculpture-representing&nbsp;Craftworkers in residence. Designed and carved by Rory Young of this town, to mark&nbsp;the opening of New Brewery Arts 2008</p>46
59Coxwell Street No 1051.718271-1.970163<p>The home of John Plot - a royalist sympathiser- whose house was raided by the Royalist troops during the siege of Cirencester. He was robbed and imprisoned in the Parish Church before being marched to Oxford Castle along with 200 fellow prisoners.</p><p>The house was built c 1641 and the front door is believed to have been salvaged from St. Mary&#39;s Abbey.</p>47
60Riverside Walk, Thomas Street-Cirencester Open Air Pool51.719053-1.974652<p>The oldest open air swimming pool in England- built in 1869 and filled by a fresh water spring/well. Funded entirely by public subscription and generous grants. It is open from May to September each year. It celebrates its 150th anniversary in May 2020.</p>48
62Gloucester Street-The Old House51.722427-1.973149<p>This 18th Century house was formerly a Mill and a Tannery built beside the Mill Pond at the rear and on the line of the Roman road leading towards Gloucester (Glevum)-Ermin Street.</p>42